Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Happy Anniversary

I don't mean to sound smug, but I'm really impressed with my sense of timing right now. It is really quite something.

In my post from two weeks ago I discussed re-reading all of Jane Austen's novels last summer because she is my favorite author. Shortly after writing that I discovered the Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which became the subject of last week's post. After getting caught up with the Lizzie Bennet Diaries I felt a very strong pull to re-read Pride and Prejudice because I just wasn't getting enough Mr. Darcy in the series, so I did.

I finished Pride and Prejudice on Sunday. The remarkable thing isn't that I read my favorite book in six days, but that Pride and Prejudice was published 200 years ago Monday and I'd had no idea such a big anniversary was coming up when I decided to read the book in six days. I found out about the anniversary shortly after I woke up on Monday (who says you can't learn anything on Twitter?) and I would've dropped everything and started reading Pride and Prejudice in celebration of the anniversary if I hadn't just finished it the day before. See, timing.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the British Library for tweeting a link to this delightful article about Pride and Prejudice's 200th anniversary on Monday morning. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment