Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Language Is Cool

I've always been fascinated by language; I think it's a pretty cool thing we humans have developed. I'm particularly interested in the ways languages change over time (especially English since it's my native language). The Oxford English Dictionary recently tweeted a link to the English in time section of its website. I haven't had a chance to spend much time perusing it, but the article I read (on nineteenth-century English) was quite good. I'll have to make time to check out the other articles. In fact, I'll have to make time to check out all of the articles in their Aspects of English section; English in use, Shapers of English, and Word stories all sound interesting to me as well.

If you're interested in the evolution of English, I suggest you spend some time with the OED online.

No comments:

Post a Comment