Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Good News

I finished Team of Rivals over the weekend. And have since started and finished Austenland. It's a quick read. And it was so nice to be reading fiction again that I just had to stay up and finish the last 60 pages. (And it didn't hurt that it was finally getting into the fun stuff with Jane and Mr. Nobley.) Yay for reading fiction!

I discovered the URL for Shannon Hale's website while perusing the reading group guide at the end of the book. And even though it was ungodly early in the morning I felt duty-bound to check it out, which is how I found her blog. On her blog I found this post, which notes that Austenland is the rare movie written, directed, produced by, and starring women and, therefore, the Hollywood establishment is sure it will fail. If you have any interest in the film please see it in the theater. It's always fun to prove the Hollywood establishment wrong.

And I must say that I really liked Team of Rivals. (I wouldn't have been able to bang out 40 pages at a time if I hadn't.) I bawled my eyes out when President Lincoln was assassinated. I hadn't expected to cry since I knew it was coming, but then again there are books and movies and TV show episodes that never fail to make me cry no matter how many times I read or watch them. (There are even some movies and TV episodes that I watch when I want to cry.) I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised by my reaction.

And now to read some more Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone before I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment